i have an akc doberman bitch that I want to breed. 1st time breeder what paperwork needs to be done prior?

I have never bred my dogs before. As an AKC member/registered dog, What should I do first if anything?

Asked by Member 1157726 on Mar 10th 2013 Tagged akc in Puppies

Answers

You should get specific testing done to rule out any genetic issues that can be passed to the pups. If there are any present, you should not breed that dog. Maybe someone will pop in and give you the specifics. You can also find a mentor. Someone who breeds Doberman's that's not affiliated with backyard breeders or puppy mills. Also, maybe someone can pop in and suggest someone. Good Luck!

First, get a copy of her registration and her pedigree if you don't already have one and get her evaluated as to breeding quality by an experienced, responsible breeder. You can usually find one by attending a local dog show and asking questions, or checking with the Doberman Pincher Club of America website and asking for the name of a breeder/exhibitor local to you.
If she is deemed breeding quality, then health testing must be done. Dobes need blood testing for vWD, eye clearances by a veterinary ophthalmologist, hips and elbows xrayed and certified by the OFA (minimum of 2 years of age), and DNA testing for other conditions such as wobblers and DM. There may be more as I didn't look them up, but this information can be found on the DPCA website or on the AKC website, AKC.org.
Once she has all this testing and passes, go back to your breeder who evaluated her for help in selecting a sire who will compliment her pedigree and faults.