I have an 8-week old Maltipoo who is straining to potty - what can I do to help? Canned pumpkin is a national shortage

Canned pumpkin is not being sold because of the shortage - whatelse can I use to help?

Asked by Member 973595 on Mar 13th 2010 Tagged potty, straining in Puppies

Answers

You should consider this an emergency and take this puppy to the vet.

If the dog has a blockage that is causing this, it can be highly life-thtreatening. A blockage can be either something the puppy ingested, even if you don't know about it. Or, it can be something that is happening internally with the puppy's digestive tract. Sometimes, puppies can get bloat, or similar issues that cause a blockage or strangulation of the intestines.

It's VERY IMPORTANT to rule this out, especially in a puppy this small and young.

Canned pumpkin or other home remedies, are best saved for times when you have had your dog long enough to know what is normal for him and what is not, and also for times when there is diarrhea or vomiting, NOT when there is straining involved.

Now, it's possible that your pup has some constipation, but I would hope you'd rather be safe than sorry and take him in to the vet to make sure.

I second that Jack

I never knew of a dog having constipation.
Blockage
Bloat
Worms
but never constipated

I agree, the vet not pumpkin. When dogs have trouble with bowel movements, it can be serious. Canned pumpkin is a bad idea in such cases.

I also agree Vet first to be safe, but my Maltipoo also has a few times been constipated and we now add just a little Gerber white grape juice to her water and shortly she is at the door wanting out. We also keep ice water down for her all the time. Hope this might help you.