I have an 11 year old Chow mix. He acts like he doesn't want to be in the same room with me any more. Any ideas why?

He used to follow me where ever I went. In the last week, he acts like he wants to be somewhere else if I walk into the same room, so he leaves the room. I'm the one who loves on him, feeds him, fills water bowl, gives treats, takes for a walk, pets and brushes him. I can't understand why he acts this way to me now. I come in to sit down, he gets up and goes downstairs. I come downstairs, and he immediately gets up and heads back upstairs.

Asked by Member 994774 on Jun 29th 2010 Tagged chowmix, behavior, leavesroom in Fears & Phobias

Answers

Tuck

When you took him to the vet for a personality change, what did he say?
Personality change is a significant clue that the dog needs to be examined by a vet ASAP!!

This is not a question for laymen. trainers, or virtual lists. This requires a physical examination by a medical professional

Tuck answered on 6/29/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I agree this sounds like a sign of the dog being sick not unsocial to you.
He is very sick it sounds like. Many dogs when they are sick will do that they will avoid people, other animals and noise. Maybe what you are missing is that when you come in the room the noise you make it enough to send him in retreat mode, like maybe his head hurts or his stomach is hurting him and the noise of rattling paper or pans are driving him batty... I hope he is ok try to get him to the vet asap... good luck