I have an 11 month old bullmastiff and I am worried about overexercising him, any tips?

He is very well behaved, easily trained and very friendly, I just don't want to put stress on his joints because he is a large breed. He goes to the dog park almost everyday for about an hour and/or a walk later in the evening.

Asked by Member 1146205 on Dec 21st 2012 in Exercise

Answers

CH. Steinplatz Eiswein CGN

Keeping to frequent, shorter sessions of low-impact exercise is best for large & giant breeds. On-leash daily walks, swimming, play in a restricted area. Keep away from jumping and jogging if at all possible until age two; this helps reduce stress to his joints while he is going through the most quick & intense growth period.

CH. Steinplatz Eiswein CGN answered on 12/22/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

The other poster gave great advice. I would add that when ever possible keep him off of hard surfaces like side walks & streets. I walk Kali on the grass & dirt when ever possible. Good Luck!

Ikan

You have a good idea, to not try and make him exercise. It can be hard on their joints if you force them to over do at a young age. I would just let him play and exercise on his own, and just keep doing the walks. If he seems to be getting tired or stressed, then it is time to cut back. Give him a day off to rest once in awhile also. Recovery is just as important and exercise.

Ikan answered on 12/26/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer