Savannah

I have a very sickly dog.

She is 8 and has had....ongoing problems with skin allergies, knee scope and scrape as a pup, diagnosed with PRA at age 4, Osteomylitis of the front elbow at age 7 - subsequently almost lost her due to kidney failure from all the meds used to treat the osteomylitis and a year later it returned because the intitial antibiotic was not the correct one. Almost lost her again. Now, 3 months post her op and recovery from the osteomylitis she has a very severe inner ear infection and for the last three days is showing signs of worsening vistibular disease. I cannot take anymore, she can take so much more. She is the strongest PERSON I have ever known. She has saved my life twice and is always so happy and in absolute adoration of me even in her worst pain. And she has been through hell and back. Why is she so sickly??? She is also riddled with arthritis. I have her on Taven injections, she does hydrotherapy and I do all I can for her. I literally work only to support her financial and medical needs but just when we're over one thing the next things pops up. I actually have a complex because all the vets and specialists know me by voice already and probably think I'm a real know-it-all (meanwhile I just know through experience and research and my pure obsession with this dog that I love so much). I have her litter brother as well, who I love dearly too, but I think because of her problems she's just that much more special to me. What can I do about her though? I'm at my wits end? Why is she so sickly?

Asked by Savannah on Dec 5th 2012 in Health & Wellness

Answers

A lot of us feel your pain.......All you can do is take one day at a time and try to make her as comfortable as you can. If you post this on the Health Forum on this site, there are more people there to give you advice. Good Luck! :)