I have a three week old pitbull puppy, how should I care for it? (Please read! I'm not an irresponsible owner!)

A man gave the puppy to me saying that the mother died and he couldn't take care of it. I agreed to keep the puppy, already having a dog of my own. Of course though, I got my dog at three months while this puppy is 3 WEEKS old. How do I take care of her?

Thanks for your help!

Asked by Member 1147340 on Dec 30th 2012 Tagged puppy, care, pitbull, threeweeks in Puppies

Answers

I would post this on the main forums page..in the Puppy Place forum. More folks go there, and you can get a dialogue going. Toto & Tiller are two Dogsters with tons of puppy raising advice/experience. Toto does post here, though.

At three weeks she should be old enough to eat on her own. Get a GOOD quality puppy food, grind it in a blender or grinder while still dry and then add warm water to make it soupy. Or, you can pour boiling water over it and let it soften on its own but the grinding is easier as you can grind enough for a whole week at once. At any rate, you want it soft enough to make mushy, soupy food.
Feed her four or five times a day, as much as she will eat in five minutes. Keep fresh water out for her all the time.
Almost all puppies are born with roundworms and three weeks is when they cause problems so get some nemex (also called strongid or pyrantel palmonate), from your vet (or Tractor Supply, etc.), and give her some of that according to the directions. Repeat every ten days to two weeks.
Gradually allow the food to be less mushy according to how well she can eat it. My labs usually will eat it with just warm water over it when they are about 4 weeks old.
Out of space, sorry!