I have a shih poo who is about 1 1/2. She is very protective of me. She growls at any new people. And then barks.

Asked by Member 1148366 on Jan 5th 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Katie

The worst thing you can do in that situation is try to comfort him or pet him. In your situation I would touch him lightly on the side of his body sort of like a poke, but gentler. this will "snap him out of it". after you do that, put him on the floor or to the side so you're letting him know it's NOT okay to growl while he's on your lap. Also, if he's in your hands and you're standing up, instead of pulling him back, either lower him to your hip or put him on the ground. you don't want to send the wrong signals by yelling his name or just pulling him closer. that would make him even more protective. hope this helps and feel free to contact me.

Katie answered on 1/5/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Do NOT poke her, alpha roll her or punish the growl. You will end up with an aggressive dog who will go straight to biting. If this is a new thing start with a vet visit. It could be something physical. If that's not it then look into "Scaredy Dog" by Ali Brown.
The majority of dogs agress out of fear. Do not use the above advice. It will make her more fearful & less trusting that you can keep her safe.
Try having her sit when meeting new people. Give her a treat for greeting nicely. Keep treats handy. Have guests just drop a treat when they come in. No contact just treat. Let her approach guests in her own time. Praise for good manners. Tether her to you. Don't pick her up.
Look into hiring a behaviorist.

Yeah, go with Wiley's advice on this one. The last thing you need is to poke her and she bites you. (or anyone for that matter)

I am also with Wiley and Obi on this one. "Snaping him out of it", is going to be a great way to teach HER to go straight to a bite and once that starts you will really be in trouble!
Please consider consulting with a professional for help with this problem, they can observe you and the dog and not only see what is going on but give you methods to prevent the issue and help your dog adjust to new people happily. Out here in internet land none of us can see what is really happening here and therefore cannot possibly help you (and her) deal with new people safely.
I would do this sooner rather than later as the longer she thinks she is right to do this the harder it is going to be to stop.
Good luck!!!