COCO

I have a question. Why are Dogs considered Property? We are not unfeeling beings. So why are we 'PROPERTY'?

Asked by COCO on Apr 27th 2008 in Other Laws & Legislation

Best Answer

Honestly, I think it's mostly so that the law has a place to put them in case any problems or disputes arise.

If dogs are considered property, people are able to buy, sell and own them - meaning they can have guarantees, warranties, and contracts regulating this. If someone's dog hurts someone, the owner is liable because the dog is his property. If someone's dog gets lost of stolen, the case is treated like lost or stolen property.

I don't think it's so much a case of not treating dogs as unthinking, unfeeling beings, but a case of needing to find a place to regulate them in a legal sense.

Abby answered on Apr 28th.

Answers

♥Tiffy♥

Those who look at dogs as "property" are obviously not dog owners. You would have to be hearltess and cold and never have owned a dog beofre to call the property. They live and breath just like humans do. Are humans considered property? no.People think that dogs aren't able to communicate their needs and wants, but this is so untrue.

♥Tiffy♥ answered on 4/28/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Daisy~The Angel By My Side~

They say that the owner picks a dog but the dog picks it’s master. I do not think of my dogs as “property. To me they are part of the family.

Daisy~The Angel By My Side~ answered on 4/28/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Luke

they are only property on paper because you can buy and sell them.
doesnt mean you have to think of them as property but you must be responsible for what property or whos property they interact with

Luke answered on 4/28/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

Duke CGC

Well, it is unfair. We are considered "property" number 1 is in case something hapens, number 2 is so that humans can make money off us (grrrr), number 3 is because we are considered lower on the hiarkee(how ever u spell it) chain. Just because we are animals. I agree with you! We are NOT "property"!

Duke CGC answered on 5/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Truffles

If you think about it, it wasnt' all that long ago in history that women and children were thought of as "chattel" - "property" as well. We've come a fair distance from those days. Maybe in time with good animal rights lawyers on the scene - society will be more sensitive to this issue!

Truffles answered on 6/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer