I Have a pit Australian shepherd mix such a sweetheart but aggressive when he plays with rope toys with other dogs !?

I have a Pit bull Australian shepherd mix hes 2 adopted him from the humane society a year ago and hes neutered such a big sweetheart but hes selective with male dogs loves the ladys . when he plays tug a war with other dogs his playful growl turns into aggression and he snaps at the other dog !? why does he do this '? I'm afraid that when we get our female puppy . when shes ready to leave her mom in 5 weeks that he will do this to her ? if they play with a rope toy ?

Asked by Member 1146704 on Dec 26th 2012 Tagged aggression in Behavior & Training

Answers

I do not think I would risk it, maybe take the toy away and just play with other toys. I think just taking the toy away could help him to settle down a bit. You do not know how he will react to the puppy until it gets there. I would watch them together for awhile until you are sure how he reacts to, the puppy. Also I think I would get the dog into a class of some kind to deal with the aggression. Good luck

Good advice above. Pits are often dog aggressive. I would avoid letting him play tug with any dog, including your new pup-to-be.

Charlie Brown Cocoa Puffs

this would b my suggestion. go check out "the power of tug" at www.leerburg.com . watch some michael ellis videos. your dog can benefit alot from it. mainly what it teaches dogs is when to shut off. sounds to me like your dog gets to s certain excited point and reacts. it's not uncommon. especially in breed that it's common for them to be taken away from their littermates too early so they don't learn bite inhibition wich can then progress to the type of reaction your talking about. for a lil while at least its good to keep him from playing tug with other dogs until you do some work with him and get him to shut off on command. wich will then hopefully show him how to not get so escalated in play. but don't just give up on letting him play with other dogs. that would be sad. good luck

Charlie Brown Cocoa Puffs answered on 12/26/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Opheila

What is it with boys? Even when they're fixed they seem to have residue testosterone flying around in there. All I can say is I don't know if I would even let my Callie play with other boys, rope toys or anything else. He plays rough. With Sophie though they seem to have it worked out. She is probably 4-6 years older than him and about the same size. She tells him when it's time to calm down some. They've reached their own understanding about sharing and playtime.
You say your guy loves girls already so a female puppy might bring out the best in him actually. They say an age difference and opposite gender is a very good thing. Perhaps if he doesn't have to play with other boys, then let him stick to the ladies and I think you'll all do fine with the puppy.

Opheila answered on 12/27/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Snow, Poochon Angel

Make sure not to let him win all the tug of war games or he could develop dominance and think he is the "Top Dog."

Snow, Poochon Angel answered on 12/28/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

snows answer is the only true answer

source (My moms a dog behavioralist!