CHOKIE  DUKE CRUZ

I have a Min Pin...how often should I feed him?

I give him 3 servings and snacks in-between...How am I doing? Sometimes he doesn't eat...but when he eats, there's no stopping him...LOL

Asked by CHOKIE DUKE CRUZ on Apr 2nd 2010 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Daisi

How old is your MinPin? His weight?
The times you feed him and the right amounts depend on his age, weight, breed, and energy levels.

Daisi answered on 4/2/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Pot Roast

I have a Min Pin too. He is almost 5 years old, weighs 9 pounds and is active, active, active! If I let him, he would eat nonstop. I feed him 1/2 cup of Nutro Ultra twice a day and he is in really great shape and doesn't have any health problems.

Yay for the little guys!

Pot Roast answered on 4/2/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Charlie

I second what the previous poster wrote. It also depends on what you're feeding. I'm a raw feeder, so I usually go by 2-3% of the ideal adult body weight per day, but it might not be applicable if you're feeding kibble/canned food. At the end of the day, it's really your dog who tells you how much. If he looks thin, feed him more, if he's getting a little chunky, cut down his serving. You should be able to feel his ribs easily,without pressing too hard, if you touch his sides. If he doesn't eat, he's not hungry, and he's self regulating, which is great. Dogs, unlike cats, will not starve themselves to death, so if he misses a meal or two, it's not a problem. If feeding him 3x a day works for you, keep it. You could also feed 2x, or even 1x a day, but that's totally up to you.

Charlie answered on 4/2/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

If the dog is no longer a puppy, i would try to feed twice a day. Once in the morning and then at nite also, but not to late that they dont have time to run around a bit after they eat.

just remember snacks like bisquits and extras offer little nutritional value as long as his meals* are healthy he should be fine even feeding one time a day. I feed my little dog once with the other dogs their meal at 5 pm daily.

Maverick

Chokie is adorable!!!
Most vets recommend feeding two to three times a day. How much depends on Chokies age, metabolism, and what food you are feeding. Foods are not created equally. Mom works for Nutro and recommends checking out the Ultra Small Breed Formula! It is full of protein and antioxidant rich ingredients that can help keep Chokies immune system in tip top shape! The food has NO ground yellow corn, chicken by product meal, or artificial colors or preservatives! Chicken meal is the first ingredient and the food has at least 3.5% linoleic acid to help Chokie keep a nice shiny coat and healthy skin!
Check out their website at:
www.thenutrocompany.com

Maverick answered on 4/4/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Going by your profile he is 9 months old, after about 6 months of age 2 feedings a day is suffiecient. as for snacks, it really depends on how how much your feeding him and what. in the end of the day it really doesnt how many times a day your feeding him but how much. First you need to know how much you need to feed him daily total and seperate that into portions, dont forget that also includes snacks.

Noodle  McDoglet-Stinkopotamus

For my 7 yr old Dachs & 1.5 year old Jack-Dachs I use Nutro Ultra Small Breed: 28% protein, 16% fat. The greater the nutrient density and digestibility the less you can feed.

Start with the recommendations on your bag of food and then adjust based on what you observe works best for your dog. My boys weigh about 12-12.5 lbs at their best body condition. Ultra's recommendation for dogs their size is 1 - 1 & 1/8th cups *total* per day. When I started at that amount they gained weight fast! The perfect amount for THEM is actually 3/8 cup for my older dog and 1/2 cup for my baby, split into 2 meals daily, plus about 4 small treats each.

Small dogs have very small stomachs. For optimum digestion and regulation of blood sugar levels you should feed no less than 2 times a day. And larger breeds benefit from multiple meals too (esp for bloat prevention.)

If you can tell me what kind of food you use, I can help you work the math for the # of calories Chokie needs. Feel free to mail me.

Noodle McDoglet-Stinkopotamus answered on 5/25/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Many smaller dogs do better on at least 2 meals a day. As for how much? Your dog definitely should be narrower at the waist than the hips and chest. You should be able to easily feel the ribs, but not see them. Each dog is different. Standard recommendations are a good place to start, but each dog must have its food and exercise adjusted to its individual needs. Here is a link to a good illustrated guide, www.longliveyourdog.com

Spotie

Most dogs do good on 2 meals a day, and if he is fed many snacks, that much should be subtracted from his food amount.

Spotie answered on 8/29/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer