Jasper Avery

I have a Hairless Chihuahua with skin problems. He has blackheads and gets pustules. Steriods help. Any suggestions?

When the vet gives him antibiotics and steriods, he clears up for a few days. Does anyone have any suggetions? He eats raw and loves to bathe.

Asked by Jasper Avery on Nov 11th 2011 Tagged hairless in Skin Problems

Answers

Is he a purebred or a mixed breed? If he is mixed with any of the hairless breeds it can create problems with blackheads and pimples since the hairless gene has a different system of oil glands in the hair follicles. When these get mixed with a haired breed, it is even worse as the hair tends to clog the follicles because of these oils.
I have two hairless cresteds and they both get blackheads to a small degree, but only where they have some natural hair growing. They are worse when they wear jackets during the Winter because the jacket also blocks the oil glands.
We use acne products to gently wash the skin but it is a pretty constant battle to keep them away. During the Winter my guys get weekly baths and I also use an acne shampoo like kerolux.
Diet can help, avoid too many fats if possible.
Unfortunately, steroids can backfire as their use also increases the oil production in the follicles.
Most crested owners learn how to "roll" the skin to pop out the blackheads and

SNEAKERS

"Most crested owners learn how to "roll" the skin to pop out the blackheads and"

That is most easily done during a Bath. I'd also get a very Soft Bristle Brush, and brush it's skin when Bathing as well.

However, something just tells me to take a look at an Allergy of sorts, very likely Dietary related. You might try "eliminating" something from it's diet for a few days or even slowly changing it over to Dry or Canned Food.

SNEAKERS answered on 11/11/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer