Dayne

I have a five year old unneutered miniature dachshund and his territorial marking is getting out of control to the point

Asked by Dayne on Oct 22nd 2012 Tagged marking in Spaying & Neutering

Answers

Spike

Im only twelve but this might be usefull. Knowing my pup hes the leader of the neighbourhood pack and he trys to pee up everything possible! This may sound odd but he even cocks his leg up when there's no pee left! I don't know if he needs to neuted but being unneuted makes dogs more territorial and protective but also give them charecter! My advice is to go to the vet if you haven't allready you never know it could be and internal problem like kindney problems. But if you are thinking about neuting him i'd think long and hard because it can drain some dogs personalitys and make them very mellow...

Beth (Spike mom) x

Spike answered on 10/22/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Chase

Please do not listen to the twelve year old. Neutering your dog will NOT change his personality. If he's a loving, snuggly guy while intact, he will be the same loving, snuggly guy after he's neutered.
From everything I've read and heard from friends who have dachshunds (miniature and otherwise) these dogs are notoriously hard to house train. However, if it is territorial marking and not "This toy is awesome, I'm not going outside!" indoor pottying, getting him neutered will definitely help.

Chase answered on 10/22/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

It is proven that neutering curbs dog's territory marking instincts. Not only this neutering helps in curbing all types of behavioral problems in dogs and cats. I would suggest that you get him neuter ASAP!

Why do people think neutering is a cure all for any problem in male dogs?
It will NOT fix problems that are a training issue. Why is he allowed to mark? You need to go back to basic training....crate & tether & take him outside to mark/pee.
If you don't allow a dog to mark..he won't mark.
Neutering will not "cure" aggression or reduce marking if it's allowed.
My one neutered male marks everything..outside. He has NEVER marked inside. The other does not, & never did.
Have you had him checked to make sure it is not due to physical causes?

Guest 927... where are the sources citing the proof of your statements??? Wiley is right, if a dog is allowed to exhibit marking in your house that is NOT an issue that will be fixed by neutering, nor can you "fix" aggression by neutering. If that were true, why are there so many aggressive neutered dogs????
ALL my male dogs are neutered save one, and they ALL mark (outside, they are trained NOT to mark inside), and all of them WILL breed and tie with a female in heat. NOT one of them is aggressive and NOT one of them was aggressive prior to the neutering.
Neutering removes the male dog's testicles, which removes the ability to produce sperm. It does not remove his testerone...that is produced in other glands in the body in addition to the testes.
Neutering is not a cure all, end all for behavior issues, aggression, marking, etc. Neutering is only a form of birth control for male dogs.

First of all, neutering is not likely to fix this issue. The behavior has become a habit now. Had the dog been neutered as a puppy it may have helped deter marking. I have a 5yr-old Westie (Frankie) who was neutered as a puppy. We have 3 other dogs and our Westie insists on mounting our Terrier almost daily - it's a dominance thing. Frankie also developed a marking habit a year ago when new neighbors moved in next door with 2 dogs. Our neighbors were very irresponsible and would let their dogs out in their front yard unleashed and they would often end up in our yard. Frankie started marking in the house while we were gone, as a result of feeling threatened. There are only 2 ways to solve marking in the house - by crating or using doggie diapers. We refuse to crate our dog and have used a product called "pup pants." Our Westie will NOT urinate with the pants on and has solved the issue. I highly suggest trying them. It was our miracle. If the marking is outdoors, then that's no biggie.