I have a female german shepherd that has bad hips,and not much control over bodily functions.What can I do?

I adopted Daisey Mae only 2 years ago from a local animal shelter where she was found a stray. They think she was used for breeding and when they were done with her then they let her go. She is very smart and a big sweetheart. They don't know her age for sure but she has cataracts in both eyes and bad hips that make it difficult to go up and down stairs and she has a limp. Now recently she pants alot,drinks alot, and pees and poops on the floor alot. I don't know what to do because my husband lost his job recently and we can't afford a vet bill. My usual vet won't even take payments. The vets look down on you because you didn't bring them to the vet but yet they are not willing to make it any easier for you to do so. I don't know if this is something that can be cured or if she will have to be put down.

Asked by Member 826325 on Apr 14th 2009 Tagged germanshepherd, affordablevetbill, putdown, lossofbodilyfunctions in General

Answers

Get her checked out by a vet first to make sure her health is good. Not sure that surgery could help her but you could try natural products. Give her enough calcium for healthy bones in accordance with what your vet recommends for her age and weight. There's joint pills you can give her that will lubricate her joints and help with her movement. These are also all natural and can contain things like flax seed oil, fish oil, glucosamine, and chondroitin. Let your vet know you are going to give her this just to be on the safe side. Give her about two weeks for it to build up in her system before you start seeing results. This won't permanently fix it but it should help out and in a few weeks you should start to notice her going up and down the stairs easier.