I have a dog and it was shot with a dart and I was call to say the the dog was dead

I live in the country and my dog roam they were a mile south of my place and the man had deer in a fenced pasture. He said my dog was biting at the fence and he shot with a dart and it caused his death. What can I do about this

Asked by Member 1152507 on Jan 29th 2013 in Laws & Legislation

Answers

You may want to check with the laws around your place. But where I live, if the dog is not on your property, and is doing harm to someone elses live stock. They can be seen as being dangerous. I am sorry for the loss of your dog.

Probably nothing -- you allowed the dog to roam at large.

Keep your dogs home! It is called worrying livestock, and it's perfectly legal to shot them if they are doing this in almost all areas.

If your dog was just biting at the fence and not inside (where the deer were) I think you should inquire about the legalties.

go to court on this, its like saying a child was playing on your grounds and he gets shot, who's fault is it? it will probably be both poeple's fault and not just one person's fault.

I see it as:

if you know that your neigbhour uses guns or equipment that can cause harm to your dog, then you have responsibility

if your neighbour knows that you have a dog and can possibly cause harm to your dog he is responsible

If he goes with due negligence and says that he had no idea that you have a dog and he was just protecting his herd on a normal practice known by others, then he will not be responsible.

Cases are based on past histories but if you are the first to go in court and win, it will be reference for the future similar cases.

Perhaps you want to go to court if you can afford it, otherwise there isn't much you can do.

but again the court looks at who was responsible for the dog, who's care was the dog under, who could of prevent this from happening, well it was you..