I have a couple questions, the first of which is how do I exercise my overweight dog when she has arthritis? She's very

I have 2 dogs that are both overweight. Moo has arthritis & is on Rymadil to help with the pain, but going for walks makes it worse, & she limps for a cpl days after. Tugger has an issue w/ his feet. He will lick them til they're raw & bloody. So he can't walk far w/out them getting sore. We've considered hydrotherapy but the closest place for that is an hr away & we cant afford that trip multiple times per week. They're both 8yrs old and they're both overweight. They're both in need of exercise but I'm out of ideas. Suggestions please?

Asked by Member 1160320 on Mar 22nd 2013 Tagged arthritis, skinconditions, overweight in Exercise

Answers

Have you tried swimming?

Maggie

I would recommend swimming, but I know how hard it is to find a place to let your dogs swim.

How about playing games with them in the house. Maybe trying treat balls. Use low calorie treats or use the ball to feed them their meal. Chasing the ball around will make them work for their food and get them a little more activity.

Even a short walk outside would be beneficial, even if it is half way down the block and back; just go slow. That's what I did with my oldest lab. Try getting some booties for Tugger; it won't take long for him to get used to them.

Maggie answered on 3/26/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Are there any dog-friendly lakes in your area to allow them to swim? Will they swim after a ball? Swimming is as good as hydrotherapy.

Multiple short walks are better than fewer long ones.

Rimadyl will harm the liver but it sounds like the arthritis for your two is bad and enhanced by weight issues...

My success story is that my 3.5 year old dog was dysplastic and visibly arthritic and now at 11 years old she acts and moves more vibrantly and beautifully than when she was 3. So you can get this turned around by attacking the issue from many directions...

Raw meat diet
Glucosamine supplement
Turmeric sprinkled on food (anti-inflammatory)
Regular acupuncture treatments
Canine massage therapy (there are books on the market that you could learn to massage them yourself with depending on your experience)
Canine chiropractic
MSM supplement
Hyaluronic Acid

There are SOOOO many amazing holistic (non-toxic) non-steroidal supplements on the market to help with arthritis