i have a border collie and an aussie, what is a good heartworm preventative for them since heartguard is off the list?

i would also not like to spend an arm and a leg on it either

Asked by Member 771451 on Jan 28th 2009 Tagged heartworms in Heartworm Control

Answers

MACH ADCH Lilliana TQX

My dogs are on Interceptor, although it is not cheap. You can buy a larger volume and save some money if the vet writes a prescription for 12 months.

MACH ADCH Lilliana TQX answered on 1/28/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Zack

Zack also takes Interceptor. It was the most expensive brand the vet sold, but for one dog it was not too bad (about $6 per month, I think). Our vet also had two or three other brands that were cheaper - you might ask your vet what is available.

The Interceptor was more expensive because it prevents other types of parasites as well, more than some of the other brands. We chose it because we spend lots of time in the summer in wooded areas, where there are lots of other animals around.

Zack answered on 1/28/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Interceptor is what I have given once a month for about 14 yrs.
No problems.
I pay for the 50-85 in that area, sorry have cold, about $ 5.25, I think last fall it went up a few cents.

But every area is different.
You can also just call several vets and get prices. You can buy from other ones.

PrincessMorningstar

I use Interceptor. I get my dog tested once a year, and then get the prescription from the same vet . I then mail the prescription to Dr
Fosters mail order.It is much cheaper then what the vets want to charge. I found it cost less then the other brands this way and it is also a preventive for other worms.

PrincessMorningstar answered on 1/29/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Have you tried Revolution? It is a bit pricy, but it takes care of heartworms AND fleas, intestinal worms and ear mites. So, it's like buying 4 meds for the price of one.

Nehbey

Definitely do NOT give any medications that contain ivermectin (like Heartgard) to Collies or Collie mixes. I saw in another post that one of them is being treated for heartworms. Because of this, do not use topical preventives like Revolution. The efficacy of topicals are questionable. Interceptor (milbemycin) is usually not very expensive (at least where I work) and should be fine.

Nehbey answered on 1/31/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer