I have a black,grey,brown dapple mini duchsand. What kind of female do i need to get the most dapples?

Asked by Member 920062 on Nov 20th 2009 in Dachshund

Answers

I'm a Collie fancier so I know little of Daucshund colors, but as someone who has been researching dog breeding for more than three years now I can tell you that you need to *really* do your research first. There is so much you need to know, because so much has the potential to go wrong even with the best of care.
Here are some articles that I recommend you start with:
woodhavenlabs.com
You also need to get yourself an experienced and reputable mentor. You can find one through the breed parent club:
www.dachshund

My website is an *introduction* to the world of responsible dog breeding:
cookiemiller.tripod.com
~Tiffany, breeder-in-training

You don't know enough to breed...Find a reputable breeding mentor or don't do it!

Scarlet, CGC

Im a Dane person, but I do believe that what doxie people call "dapple" is actually the merle gene. Merle is not a gene you want to mess around with. If you breed a dog that's merle (dappled) to another dog that is the same you are going to wind up with a couple double merle puppies. Double merles usually have big time health issues like being totally deaf and/or blind, have skin issues, and digestive issues, just to name a few. On top of everything else, there is absolutely NO way of controlling what dapples you get. The merle gene does what it wants and you can't do anything. You can breed for dapples or no dapples but not the pattern the dapples are in, the size or shape of the dapples, or the distribution of the dapples. Breeders are at the total mercy of mother nature when it comes to merle. Read this article but substitute doxie for dane (Merle is with the harle color family--harle is only dane tho) www.chromadane.com

Scarlet, CGC answered on 11/20/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Ruby

Yes breeding dapple to dapple can result in puppies that are refered to as a "Double dapple" Very irresponsible and should never be done intentionally, so never breed two dapples together. It's the merle gene as stated in the post above me. I think you should worry about health of the dogs/puppies over the coloring you could produce......this shows you are not entirely ready to breed in my opinion. Research the breed for a very long time, have your dog(s) certified for health in every sense, show your dog, prove it's worthy of breeding and will produce happy healthy puppies and to the standards of the breed. if all this is not possible have your dog(s) spayed and neutered.

Ruby answered on 11/21/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer