I have a beautiful lab/chow (and who knows what else) dog that I have had since she was born. She is 3 years old and has been a great dog for our family. This past week, following a doggy bath, my 5 year old son was hugging her and tusseling with her as he has done (against my instructions) in the past. I was vacuuming in another room and when I turned on the vacuum, my son must have struck some nerve while she was spooked and our dog nipped at my son, ripping his lip very badly requiring surgery. Recovery has been swift and full, but now we are left to pick up the pieces of what happens to our family dog. We have young children with many friends. Our house is a gathering place for friends and family and we no longer feel comfortable with our dog around children. No one around us feels comfortable either. We do not feel our dog should be put down as she is a wonderful and loving animal. We want to find a home for her, with no children, that will be fulfilling for her as well as her new family. Any suggestions would be amazing in this difficult time.

Asked by Member 1170314 on May 14th 2013 in Other Adoption & Rescue

Answers

Chows are very protective and not fabulous with children. You had this dog knowingly, your child does not listen, and now you want to rid yourself of her? If is your obligation to find her a better home, one where she will be loved unconditionally, even if a kindergartener grabs her. Be clear that the dog is an animal and did not misbehave- it is the child that hopefully learned a lesson that will keep him from being bitten in the future. Give the dog a holiday gift of a loving family; if "others" aren't comfortable it's because of what YOU told them, when your dog was definitely PROVOKED. ^_^