I have a beautiful cutie Irish Setter 9 years old, and I was wondering if he was to old too breed.

Asked by Member 1022756 on Feb 10th 2011 in Irish Setter

Answers

Mattie

Please don’t breed him; working w/ a rescue group I know 10million dogs are euthanized each yr because a lack of homes. A lot of people believe they have a beautiful dog so the consenquence is There are millions of dogs that already need good homes now that are in rescue/shelters. If you wind up w/ pups what are you going to do with the puppies that you cant keep? Do you already have prospective adopters in line? If not this can be a heartbreaking experience! Or are you going to drop them off at a pet shelter keep them all yourself? Remember a litter of 4 small pups can cost $4000+ for shots,food,etc. assuming everyone is healthy & you already have all the breeding supplies needed. I know you have the male dog but what about the owner of the female dog? I’m not trying to rant but please think of the many other dogs dying in shelters & perishing for no reason other than lack of homes. Don’t breed dogs.Please think long and hard before breeding. northstarhavaneseclub.com

Mattie answered on 2/10/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

First of all, is you guy registered and does he have all his current health certifications required by his breed prior to breeding. These include DNA analysis for PRA, CERF for other eye problems, OFA hip and elbow certification, heart certification and perhaps others that Irish Setters need. These tests will all require veterinary specialists to do, read mega bucks in cost! You will need to have his sperm evaluated by a veterinary reproductive specialist to make sure he is even producing viable sperm at his age. He should also have some show or performance or hunting titles prior to being used for breeding... again, this can be costly and extremely time consuming.
Assuming all these tests and titles are in place and he is okay to breed the next problem is going to be researching his pedigree and finding a female with compatable lines who is willing to use a nine year old unproven stud. Not so easy, believe me!
If you are looking for another Setter the cheapest is to adopt or bu

He is to old to breed and he should of been fixed a long time ago.

He is definitely too old to breed. There are too many pets in shelters and rescues that need wonderful homes. If you're looking into getting another dog then adopt from a shelter or rescue. Neuter your dog, it's the best thing to do.

Ty

He still may be able to, it is different for males hen females, but it is really not a good idea. At that age, you are running a bigger risk of the puppies not being healthy. I do wish you the best but I think I would let it be.

Ty answered on 2/11/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer