I have a 9 wk old puppy. She only has her first set of shots. I took her to the dog park/lake twice already. Now I'm

afraid she might have gotten parvo after reading an article online ! For how many days should I watch out for symptoms? Diarrhea and vomiting right? I'm freaking out !! I am never taking her back there again until her third set of shots !!

Asked by Member 1032414 on Apr 30th 2011 in Vaccinations

Answers

She may be okay still because she should have developed good immunity after 2 shots.... but how long ago was her second shot? It takes a few days for immunity to build up. Getting a shot does not instantly make you immune. It takes a few days to build up an immunity.

Most of the time, Pets are over-vaccinated. Vaccines are a huge chunk of income for vets and although science has shown that over-vaccinating is not good and dangerous, vets are slow to adopt the new thinking. There is an awesome Vet who has spent a lot, and I mean a lot, of her time researching, doing studies, and holding educational seminars for vets and pet owners. Here is a great page on what vaccine protocol is necessary, and it leaves out un-necessary vaccines. Here is the site:
www.dogs4dogs.com

A dog or puppy should not go to a dog park until 2-4 weeks after she/he has been fully vaccinated. If the area is frequented by unvaccinated animals you may have reason to watch her, but socializing with healthy, vaccinated dogs is okay.

Puppies can get sick for many reasons, not all are caused by Parvo. Eating too much can also cause diarrhea.

Be alert for the next 2 weeks, but don't worry yourself to death. A well cared for puppy still has a good chance of fighting off disease that might sicken a stray.

Tucker

I volunteer at an animal shelter and have been around puppies with parvo.. their dierah has a very distint smell its almost as if it burns your eyes.. I don't know how else to explain it. Also your puppy may still have its mothers defence which means your puppy can not get parvo.. the defence usually wears off around 14 weeks.. so your puppy might be okay. If you get to worried I'd take the puppy to the vet.. you can never be to careful!

Tucker answered on 5/19/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer