I have a 9 mth old female pit bull and I'm scared of having her get her period. I'm a new female pit mommy. What can Ido

I want to know what can I do in order to help my dog. Also she is always scratching her chest because her nipples are growing and her vagina is also swollen.

Asked by Member 1144647 on Dec 10th 2012 Tagged periodsandfemalepitbullsatwhatagedotheygetit in Health & Safety

Answers

Why would you be scared of her heat cycle? It's a perfectly natural thing. Do you plan on getting her spayed? If not, then you really need to keep an eye on her so that other dogs don't try and breed with her. Good Luck!

Dogs do not have periods..they have a heat cycle, or period of estrus. There are only a few days during this time that she can conceive.
If you are worried, I suggest you have her spayed. This eliminates any chance of her getting pregnant & reduces the risk of pyometra significantly.
It sounds like she is entering her first cycle. I advise making a vet appointment to discuss the best time to have her done.
Congrats on your puppy.

Bear

If you aren't planning on having her spayed.. Get her a doggy diaper. They make them especially for female dogs in their heat cycle. It helps keep the blood off of the furniture and carpet. You can take it off when you let her out to go potty. Just be sure to keep a very good eye on her when she's outside. It worked for my Pitbull when she went into heat.

Bear answered on 12/11/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer