I have a 9 month old female pitbull she is in her first heat right now. When do they stop growing?

Asked by Member 1019018 on Jan 12th 2011 Tagged dog in American Pit Bull Terrier

Answers

It is a hockey stick thing. They grow quickly at first, and then slowly level off. The larger the breed, the longer they keep growing.

Check the ends of the leg bones. If they are still much knobbier than an adult's, the growth plates are still open and it is still growing. If not, do not expect much more growth.

You may find this link interesting, jn.nutrition.org

9 months is the right time for first heat , Differant breeds mature at differant ages . She may not get any taller wow but she should continue to fill out for the next three years .
www.squidoo.com
good luck

I agree with Aster!...Goodluck!

A dog can grow up to 2yrs old. A female will tapper off at 15-18 months.
There is no way to tell about a growth plates, unless you have the dog x-ray'd, I don't know what aster is trying to tell you. I have never heard of someone trying to tell that by looking at the femur bones. Even human children have growth plates, even at 17 , my daughters, ankle plates had not yet closed.
The only way to tell that is by getting xrays.
sorry just wanted to explain that.
If you think you want to wait to spay talk with your vet about growth plates and the pro's/con's of waiting. She will need monitoring until then while in heat. good luck.