I have a 8wk English Bull-Shar Pei-Retriever. I would like to have his tail Stubbed, what is your thought?

Asked by Member 1016052 on Dec 18th 2010 Tagged tailstubbing in Other Grooming

Answers

Jazzy

For one right now would be a painful surgery for the pup to get his tail docked. The breeds who get their tails docked for standard reasons like the boxer, doberman, rottwieler, spaniels etc. get their tails docked when they are a couple days old. For that reason because the bone in their tails have not fused together yet and the pain for them is over within seconds. And another reason is your dog is a mixture of breeds. There is no reason for you to get your dogs tail docked. And if your doing it for fashion, then that's a really dumb decision.

Jazzy answered on 12/18/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

WHY?????? NONE of those breeds normally have a docked tail. Docking a tail at this age is major surgery and involves severing the spinal cord, which is not without risks. Complications can and do occur and might be more likely with the naturally shortened tail genetics of the bulldog. (BTW... English Bulldogs are BORN with shortened tails, they are NEVER docked.) Please leave your dog as nature intendeded and enjoy him for what he is, not what you want him to be!!!!!!!

We had a bunch of answers like these lately...

Anyway the dog should get therer tail first thing after there born I think...I didnt get a chance to read Jazzy answer but..I am cutting right to the chase-IT IS VERY PAINFUL for a dog to get there tail stubbed...VERYY!....Trying not to be rude but Please don't have your dog/puppys tail stubbed...Even if they look more HANDSOMER, *Dont*

Dogs and dogs tail, ears, legs, arms, YOU NAME it come out they way they are, No surgery on ears or tail for a fashion...They come natural...Would you ruin it for them with pain?..Just for fashion?...

My thought is, sorry, please dont-No

There is no reason to do so.
Tail were docked, historically, to avoid paying taxes. A dog without a tail was a "working" dog. Only the wealthy had pets and left the tails on their dogs. If money is tight, you don't want to pay tax on a working dog when you don't have to.
It was a status symbol to have a tail on your dog, it meant you had money.

Today, we have a picture in mind of what our dog should look like. As a mix breed, it's hard to tell yet. Your puppy will change a lot in the next few months. He may look more like the curly-tailed Shar Pei or the cork-screw tailed Bulldog when he matures. Hard to say at 8 weeks.

Medically, it's needless, painful cosmetic surgery. In many places it is not legal to do this surgery anyway. A good Vet will refuse. Anyone that will do it for you, is not to be trusted with the life and health of your puppy.

Agree with everyone else, NO VET WILL DO THIS for you, and anyone who's NOT a vet shouldn't be performing surgery on dogs.

There is some evidence that dogs that had their tails cut off feel "phantom limb" pain in their stub, do you want that to happen to your dog?

Brutus

My thought? No way, no how, absolutely NOT.

I have dogs with docked tails. I dislike it because they just weren't BORN that way. Its not natural. Every Wheaten I have ever met, however, has a docked tail. Apparently, these breeders think that docking their tails is better or something. I think not.

And 8 weeks old??! It would be so extremely PAINFUL for him. If a dog is getting their tail docked, its RIGHT after they are born.
You should NOT get your dog's tail docked. Its just not right.

Brutus answered on 12/19/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Kazba

This would be very painful for the dog and there are many things that can go wrong from having this done. Tails should only be docked hen the puppies are only days old.

Kazba answered on 12/19/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Starbutt

I don't know why you would want to do this you can't show the dog and there is no medical reason is there? This is painfull for the dog no matter what you may hear and if it was me I would not crop or dock UNLESS it is to be shown even then I hear they are letting the natural look in the ring. Let me ask you before you decide if this was you and you were to say get your finger cut off and there was nothing wrong with it it was let's say the rage like all these piecings would you do it just because everyone else did?
The one that said it is to be done at birth is right but I wouldn't do it then either. What ever you decide make sure you are thinking in the best interst of the dog and not because it would look cool or anything.

Good luck with your decission.

Oh and you need to find a vet that will do this don't try to do it yourself please not that your were thinking of it a vet know how to and it is not merely cutting the tail.

Starbutt answered on 2/7/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer