I have a 5yr old yorkshire terrier,and she has bad breath,what is the cause?

Asked by Member 621399 on Apr 15th 2008 Tagged whatcanidoforherbadbreath in Homemade Food

Answers

Sophie

Sophie, my yorkie, had the same problem. She eats a wholesome organic diet and I couldn't figure out what was causing the bad breath either. I switched the toothpaste we used (to Kissable) and started brushing her teeth everyday. At a friends suggestion I made her some homemade treats with parsley in them, which is a natural breath freshener. Together that pretty much took care of the problem. Occasionally I give her one of those Yip Yap breath mints for dogs (most dog supply stores carry them at the checkout) which she loves and now she's pretty much "kissable" all the time.

Sophie answered on 4/15/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Other than diet, plaque is a possible cause for bad breath.

I would also advise brushing her teeth with a special doggie toothbrush and toothpaste (people toothpaste is toxic to dogs) and see if that help improve the situation.

Most vets say that if you can at least get the outside of the teeth, that is good enough. The insides of the teeth aren't as prone to plaque.

If you have her on a lower grade food, try upgrading her brand to one that has less fillers and more natural ingredients. Some great brands are Innova, Canidae, Eagle Pack and Wellness, which I feed to Jack.

Jessie Jones

I took my 9 year old poodle to the vet today for a dental examination.His breath is very bad.I also brush his teeth with doggie toohpaste but it's not helping.He has a lot of brown plaque on his teeth and a couple of small ones are loose.He goes in next week for his cleaning.Hopfully that will fix the problem.Good luck!

Jessie Jones answered on 4/15/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Diet could be part of it but an inbalance in her gut could also be a problem. A product called Prozyme may help its natural plant products. Also a dental exam may be due. Could be a mouth or tooth issue.