I have a 5yr old Scottish Terrier, that I noticed he was constantly licking his paw.

I found a large (about the size of the end of my thumb) raised bump that looks like a big boil, but doesn't have
a head, It seems to bother him.
My other scottie had one a few years ago and the breeder told me to leave it alone and it would go away, which it did, but this really bothers me. I can't afford to see a vet right now. Please, any helpful suggestions

Asked by Member 942226 on Jan 31st 2010 in Skin Problems

Answers

You can buy some cotton baby socks at the store and place it over the paw.
I would try to keep it dry although the dog may try to still lick it.
Try to discourage her by saying ututut, then if she stops licking praise her.
I like the baby socks as they are cotton and comfy, kind of cheap too.
If the sore keeps getting worse try even another vet. good luck
good will have a section with baby socks too for like .10-.25 cents

Sounds like an interdigital cyst. I have had success bringing them to a head by soaking the dog's foot in warm water and epsom salts. After it starts draining, be sure to apply some antibiotic ointment several times a day. Sometimes this home treatment will work, sometimes the infection is just too deep and it will require oral antibiotics from the vet. Good luck to you!

I agree it is probably a cyst, but if it doesn't get any better in a day or so, you will need to get to a vet even if you have to borrow money.

This could be a foxtail, which would need to be removed by the vet. They can be very dangerous because they will actually work their way in through the skin and tissue into the body and can actually reach the heart, lung or brain, believe it or not.

I'm not saying he has a foxtail in his paw, but it's something very similar sounding in terms of symptoms and I would want to make sure that this was not the case if he were my dog. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

However, I believe the advice you got here was good and you should treat it as cyst as described and also get those baby socks and some surgical tape to secure it overnight (tape the sock, not his fur or skin, and then fold the sock down a bit over the tape for a secure, not too tight fit.)

Roger - Never Met a Stranger

Baby socks can be found at the Dollar type stores. I've used them on my Scotties, and used that stretchy first aid tape to keep them on, but you still have to WATCH them, as they may try to chew the tape off and the sock.

Roger - Never Met a Stranger answered on 2/1/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

check its diet sometimes changing food can help espically if you see other symptons such as ear infection and poor coat. try not to feed foods with corn or corn based

Have you figured out what the problem is yet? Your post worried me as my 10 year old scotty had the very same thing recently and it was squamous cell carcinoma. We ended up having to amputate part of her paw to rid the cancer. Please have it checked if you haven't already. Best of luck! I hope it is not anything serious like my dog.