Dante

I have a 5 year old Boxer that is losing his hair. His skin is not irrated or flaky. Has anyone experienced this?

Asked by Dante on Nov 3rd 2008 in Boxer

Answers

Has your Boxer ever been tested for a thyroid problem? Hair loss is almost number 1 in the symptoms for this condition...mental dullness and weight gain is also high on the list. If this is the problem, it is easily treated by daily dose of a synthetic thyroid hormone. I could be wrong but I heard somewhere that thyroid problems were one of the health issues with some boxers. Well good luck to you and I hope things work out.

Dakota

Yes! My 6 year old female Boxer experiences the same thing. It does not seem to bother her either. My vet said it is called "Seasonal Flank Alopecia". Basically, the pineal gland (which is located on the back of the neck) is not getting enough sun. It causes the fur to fall out and hyperpigmentation. The skin frequently gets a little darker in those spots. It is common in boxers. While not always as attractive, it is basically harmless, according to my vet. It started out of nowhere for her a couple years ago and has never completely gone away. She is still perfect though!

Dakota answered on 1/15/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer