I have a 5 month old Border Collie. He trains well and is exercised and played with daily (total 2hours).

When indoors he is kept in a large crate.
I want to allow him space outside the crate BUT;
-when told to stay on the mat at the back door he will not.
-Tried standing at perimiter of mat and used my legs and feet to keep inside the area.
-When I try to contain him this way he gets agitated so I quietly hold his collar but he continues resistance movements.....
-He knows what STAY means outdoors.

Any advise appreciated
Thanks in advance

Asked by Member 1146670 on Dec 26th 2012 in Methods of Training

Answers

Imagine yourself at 5 years old, in a huge candy store, and someone making you stay on a mat. Not going to work out really well is it???
It is the same for him, he is a baby and staying on a mat has no more freedom than staying in his crate.
Puppies need to learn indoor boundaries gradually and need to only be allowed that freedom when someone is watching them. Many people use a tether method whereby they leash the puppy to themselves so they can watch them every single second and help them make good decisions such as chewing appropriate objects, not messing or peeing inside, etc. When you are not right there, he needs to be physically confined in his crate, he is way, way too young for complete freedom at this point AND making him stay on a mat is unrealistic...he learns by exploring and needs to explore, safely, while tethered to you.
Two hours of play doesn't sound like enough... my 5 month old lab is out tethered with me all day except when he is napping in his crate.

Charlie Brown Cocoa Puffs

two hours is definately not enough. especially since it sounds like that is the only activity he gets. tethering works great with pups. keeps them with you so they have the chance to explore and learn their boundries. confining them at this age like that will just lead to frustration and anxiety for the both of you. wich could lead to further problems down the road. here is how the learning process works. you teach them something. they learn to repeat the sequence to get a reward. but that is not a learned behavior. at least not yet. with everything he learns there will be a time he seems to just forget everything. that though is actually how you know he's learning or on the way. it takes time and patience. at 5 months old he hasnt learned much. cept hopefully to potty outside. also, training too much and too early and making things not positive for him will just further the frustration wich can lead to avoidance and several other behaviors. you have to remember he is very young

Charlie Brown Cocoa Puffs answered on 12/26/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer