I have a 50 pound pit bull mix who chewed through the plastic and ate an 18 oz jar of Peanut Butter.

I have a 50 pound pit mix, and he got into some Peanut Butter a few days ago. I suspect that he ate most of the 18 oz. jar. When I found the jar a few days ago, it was completely eaten through the bottom and the lid was off. He's had bad Diarrhea for 2 days now. I've been keeping him hydrated, feeding him his regular food once a day as usual, and he's still sick. He's had a few BIG accidents in the house, and is now also throwing up.

What should I be worried about?
Should he go to the vet?

Side Note: He went to the vet last week due to a skin issue, and we found out that he had allergies to fleas and atopy. He's on an antibiotic(Cephalexin), which I have been giving him with Peanut Butter, until now.

Asked by Member 1106052 on Apr 16th 2012 Tagged peanutbutter, diarrhea in Emergencies & First Aid

Answers

VET NOW!

He could have several things going on. One would be a reaction to the antibiotics and you should definitely notify your vet about that.
Worse could be an inflamed pancreas caused by the amount of fat in the peanut butter. This is a serious problem and needs treatment ASAP.
It is also possible that he ingested some of the plastic and has a blockage or a piece stuck in his stomach or intestines, again, a serious issue needing veterinary care ASAP.

What was the brand of peanut butter that he ate? A lot of peanut butters have junk ingredients in them like corn syrup, maltodextrin and other fillers/chemicals. Anyways, could he have eaten any of the plastic? I recommend taking him to the vet because if he chewed through the bottle, he could of chewed off bits and pieces of the plastic.

Just a recommendation: I recommend taking him off of the antibiotic. You can easily get rid of fleas without giving your dog an antibiotic. Clove oil kills/wards off fleas and ticks. Put about 8 drops of clove oil onto your dog's coat and rub all into your dog's coat except for the face and sensitive areas. Bathe your dog once a week with a good quality shampoo (Earthbath is a GREAT shampoo brand!). Put 1 tsp of garlic powder, 1 tsp of cinnamon and 1/2 tsp of oregano into your dog's food and mix up. Feed a high quality food too!

Food information - What's REALLY in pet food? www.bornfreeusa.org

I highly recommend feeding Orijen, Acana, The Honest Kitchen, Sojos, Solid Gold Barking at the Moon, Solid Gold Sun Dancer or Red Dog Blue Kat. Any of the foods I listed are some of the best food you can feed to a dog.

STAY AWAY from any foods that contain on the ingredient list - Corn, soy, wheat, artificial flavorings/colors, added colors, unnamed meats (animal digest, animal fat, digest, liver, meat and bone meal, meat by-products, animal by-products, meat meal, fish meal, etc), propylene glycol, menadione, rice, sorbic acid, sugar, sucrose, salt, dried beet pulp, egg product, brewers dried yeast, etc.

STAY AWAY from brands such as Purina, Pedigree, Royal Canin, Science Diet, Kibbles n Bits, Optimum, Authority, Cesar, Diamond, Iams, Eukanuba, Ol' Roy, Old Yeller, Pet Pride and Natural Balance.

Sandy (aka Thumper)

Give him pedalyte to help keep him hydrated....It could be the cephalexin making him sick so call the vet to be sure..

Peanut butter will give him the runs but should not make him vomit unless he actually swallowed some of the plastic...

Sandy (aka Thumper) answered on 4/20/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer