I have a 4 year old bitch Cocker spaniel. She has had 2litters a breeder. When is the right time for her to be spayed.

English Cocker. I was told by the breeder that she was last in season about 4 months ago, but she has now just started another season.
I am ignorant on bitches being in season, how often do they heve them ?

Asked by Member 1148724 on Jan 7th 2013 Tagged spaying, seasons in Spaying & Neutering

Answers

tessa

females have their heat every six months and she would have been better off being spayed before her first heat..as a pup..you can spay her after this heat is over about 3 weeks...good luck keep the boys away till then..

tessa answered on 1/7/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Six months, although average, is not cast in stone... it can range anywhere from 4 months up to a year between heats.
My vet recommends 3 months after the last heat for spaying. This is because many, if not most females have false pregnancies and they cause enlarged blood vessels and an enlarged uterus, as well as milk production in many cases. All this makes the spay a bit more risky and difficult so by waiting that extra month most of these symptoms have resolved.
Thanks for taking a retired breeder... I have always placed most of mine when they were finished being Mom's, and was happy to get great homes for them!