I have a 4 week old puppy..its mother stopped nursing...is it too early to put him on softened puppy food

Asked by Member 1145651 on Dec 17th 2012 Tagged puppy, weekoldpuppy, bottlefeed in Food & Nutrition

Answers

It should be fine. The easiest way is to get a high quality, meat based puppy food and grind it while still dry in a food processor or blender. Add warm water to make a thick pudding.
Feed him four or even five times a day, allowing him all he will eat in five minutes.
Keep fresh water available at all times in a bowl small enough that he can't fall into and drown.
Good luck.

Tiara

I would give it a try. You can get some soft fooda try. My last puppy ate the puppy packets from Nutro, they are soft food with alot of gravy on them. The gravy helped to to want to eat it.

Tiara answered on 12/18/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sabi

I use canned puppy food and mix it with puppy formula. Even when mom is nursing I start offering food around 4 weeks. Just remember that puppies need to eat several times a day, and dehydration has to be avoided.

Sabi answered on 2/1/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer