I have a 3 year old male yellow labrador and am thinking of getting a second dog. should i get a male, female or none?

I have a 3 year old male yellow labrador and had him mated.... now im thinkign of bringing a puppy home however i am not sure how it will work out. Should i get a male or a female? i have heard that if i get a male then they will start fighitng when he gets older....i have also heard that the younger one will respect and look up to the older one and they will be fine. the problem with getting a female is that she would be my current dogs daughter so wouldnt it be hard to keep them away from mating with each other. i have an option to get a female puppy from another dog family as well so what should i do? i am really confused... should i go for my dogs son or duahgter or get another female??

Asked by Member 1043427 on Feb 21st 2012 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Bella

It seems pretty clear that you aren't an expert in the field of dog behavior and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that... except that you're breeding dogs.The best thing you could do would be to neuter your male and then get whatever sex you'd like to have. Having unaltered animals is just asking for trouble whether its from unwanted breeding or stress from having 2 males intact. Bringing in a female, whether its his daughter or not, will do nothing more than drive him bonkers when she goes into heat. He will do whatever he has to get at her. Fix your pets and leave the breeding up to the professionals.

Bella answered on 2/21/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I agree with getting them all fixed and leaving the breeding to the professionals!