I have a 3 month old puppy who is not potty trained. We are gone Mon-Fri for 12 hrs a day. Is crate training ok?

Asked by Member 512537 on Oct 10th 2007 Tagged cratetraining in Crate Training

Answers

pippin BROWN

dont you think that 12 hours is rather long for your puppy to be left.when does he get to go to the loo? i dont really think that dogs should be left for more than 8 hours in a day.why do people who work full time have to have dogs?i was lucky enough for my family to pop in to let my dog out for toilet.can anyone do this for your puppy.?

pippin BROWN answered on 10/10/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

Holly

Yeah, 12 hours is really too long. The rule of thumb for how long a puppy can hold it is 1 hour for every month they've been alive, plus an hour. (For example, a 2-month old dog can hold it about 3 hours.) Obviously most of us can't stick to that rigidly, but anything in excess of 8 hours for any age of dog is too much. I suggest either a neighbor/friend/family member come let them out (it's easy to do on a lunch break and makes for some nice socialization), or you get a large enclosure, like a playpen and put crate training pads in one side. Then, put them outside the door too. Your puppy will learn they're appropriate "mess" areas and slowly can transition outside. We have a screened in back porch I use in much the same way.

Holly answered on 10/10/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

Loki Barks Alot

12 hours is too long. They will hold it in, but the second you come home, they will rush out of the crate and if you don't get them outside immediately, they will make a mess right in front of you. Sometimes they will make a mess in their crate which is just cruel to them if they're sitting in their mess all day.

I have a 4 month old puppy who has had a walker since I realized that it was bad for him to hold it in. I had to leave him for 11 hours from 6 AM to 5 PM, so I had a walker come over at 12 PM every day. The girl I found was relatively cheap - $10 dollars a week, 2 times a week. I pay her to walk my dog for at least 20 minutes, then play with him outside the kennel.

Loki Barks Alot answered on 10/10/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Isis

12 hrs is a really long time, and a puppy @ 3 months will not hold it for that long! They usually start holding their bathroom needs around 6 months for 6 hours (8 hours at most). Crate training helps them to hold it, and usually dogs will not go where there sleep. Still, it's a long time, and that's cruel to have a puppy sit in their mess. They may start to eat their poop out of being bored. That's a habit you don't want them to have! Think of it this way, can you hold your bathroom needs for 12 hours?

Isis answered on 10/10/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Aspen

Why do you have a dog if you are gone for 12 hours? Try a doggie daycare at least 3 times a week if you cannot get anymore time for your poochie. It is certainly not fair to have him or her cooped up that long. 3 months, he/she is learning a lot, don't ruin it for him/her. How would you like being in a closed in space for that long? I hope you do the right thing.

Aspen answered on 10/10/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Daphne

As long as you give your puppy someplace to go where he/she knows it's ok, you'll be fine. A lot of people may tell you that you shouldn't have a dog if you can't be home more often, but I don't think that was your question. To answer your question--your puppy, or any dog for that matter, can not and should not be expected to 'hold it' that long. The main reason should be obvious--it's uncomfortable. But making your dog hold it for that long can also lead to urinary tract infections, plus it will be impossible to guarantee your dog is properly potty trained. You won't be able to tell the difference between whether your dog simply COULD NOT wait anymore or just isn't fully trained yet. And if he/she could not wait anymore, that is not their fault.

A better solution, and the one that we employ in my house, is to 'spot train' your pooch. That is, give your pup a safe 'spot' to go. Our dog knows she can always go in the corner of the kitchen, where her 'litter box' is. Good luck!

Daphne answered on 10/10/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

Lilly

Crate training is a great help in housetraining your puppy. But you might want to leave him/her in a larger area during the day, ex: kitchen or anywhere with a hard surface/not carpeted so that he/she can move around and will not eliminate in the sleeping area (block them in with a baby gate or something). You can crate him/her at night or short times during the day when you are home to insure that he/she gets used to it. A three month old puppy can probably only hold his/her bladder for no more than 8 hours and that is pushing it. Good luck.

Lilly answered on 10/11/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer