I have a 2 yr old Australian shepherd/Plott hound mix, female spayed. She developed food aggression 1 yr ago. Any tips

I have tried multiple techniques to calm the food aggression such as feeding her from my palm, removing the food when she growls, and rewarding her when she doesn't growl.

Her aggression has begun to spread to other things such as toys, and sometimes she just doesn't want to be messed with and will growl. I feel like I have run out of options.

Asked by Member 1186011 on Aug 17th 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Feed small meals every three-four hours so the duration of the aggression is extremely limited. I have a new pup that is constantly growled at by my older ones. it's a way for them to say leave me alone, not I'm going to bite you. If your dog is biting, see a trainer because that is a habit that needs to be corrected for safety purposes. You need to find a treat or toy that she goes nuts over, like a greenie or scented gorilla ball, and then only reward for positive behavior. Habits can be broken, but learning the sound signals of your dog and what they mean is vital as well in this ongoing process. You both can do it... DON'T give up! ^_^