i have a 12yr old beagle. he has recently stopped eating. he is on prednisone, famotidine and atopica.

i have tried rice and canned dog food. that worked for a few days. now he seems to have gone off that as well. it has been 2 days since he has had anything of substance.
i have seen a vet. i know the dog has cancer but have chosen not to put him thru any chemo. i would like to keep him comfortable but he has lost a lot of weight. the vet has told me i am on my pooch's time line now. i guess i just don't know what to expect.

Asked by Member 986228 on May 9th 2010 in Cancer

Answers

I am sending you some doggie prayers. Sorry that this is happening.
You are in our thoughts.
Hugs for you, Dieta

Maverick

I'm so sorry about your baby. :( I hope that you can keep your beagle comfortable and food in his tummy. I would try boiled chicken too. When Mav's had cancer and couldn't have it removed our vet recommended flax seed oil and cottage cheese as well but, I would always check with your vet to be sure.

Good luck and stay strong.

Maverick answered on 5/10/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Fluffy

I too am sorry to hear this... if he's been on Atopica regularly, this hopefully isn't causing issues, but I have heard of some patients getting an upset stomach from it. If you are just trying to get any food in him, sometimes fish can be a little more enticing due to the strong scent and oily flavor - it's not ideal, but its better than nothing if it works.
Take care

Fluffy answered on 5/11/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer