I have a 12-year old Lab/Rott. Took 2 vet & says she has bone cancer! No money 4 anything to help her! Put her 2 sleep?

I'm devistated.I was told my best friend of 12 years, 1/2 Lab 1/2 Rottweiler has bone cancer after a test at the vet yesterday. I took her for her regular, yearly visit. He said everything looked good, but he thought she may have anemia. After waiting a looong time for results, he told me that she has bone cancer and told me she would need a specialist. Currently, everyone is out of work. I'm afraid the only option I could afford would be to euthanize her; but just the thought of it makes me cry like a baby. I don't want her to have to live in pain. She doesn't look like she's in pain, just stiff getting up or down and lays around a lot more than she use to. I know that dogs don't really show their pain like humans though and I'm trying to find out what would be the most humane. If this was you and your best friend, would you have her euthanized to avoid any pain she might be in; or would you make her as comfy as you could until she passed away naturally?Any opinions.

Asked by Member 987278 on May 15th 2010 Tagged bonecancer, sick, pain, euthanize, bestfriend, old, comfort, vet, tests, treatment, humane, arthritic, aged in Cancer

Answers

I am sooo sorry!!! If she were mine, I would definitely start her on some sort of pain meds from my vet, but I wouldn't do much else, even IF I could afford it. My feeling is that the treatments for bone cancer usually involve amputation, and IMO, it might be too much stress and pain for her at her age.
But, until she showed me she was in obvious pain which was not relieved by the meds I would continue with the meds. I hope this isn't grasping at straws but I had a GSD who was diagnosed with osteosarcoma via x-rays when he was only 3. Like you, I was totally unable to afford any treatments, so I took him home. Three months later he was still fine so we did the x-rays again... I was totally flabbergasted (and so was my vet!) when it turned out that the typical starburst pattern indicating bone cancer was just a bone cyst and it was resolving on it's own. I'm not sure two of us could be that lucky, but I will pray that this is your girl's problem as well!!!!

Woofie  1988 - 2001

No need to do anything - yet.

At 12 it's not right to put her through cancer treatment.

Ask for pain meds to give as needed and keep her comfortable as long as possible. When it's too much, she'll let you know. Then it's time for you to do what's best for her - not you.

As hard as it is to lose a friend - lord knows I've cried like a baby each time - I choose to do what my dog needs over my own wants. I have a clear conscience to go with my broken heart.

Woofie 1988 - 2001 answered on 5/16/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Maximus

I agree with the other comments...treatment can be rough at her age so just do your best to keep her comfortable with some sort of medication and let her know you love her. You'll know when it's getting to be too much on her. Also, with her getting stiff, you might want to try giving her glucosamine tablets, they did wonders for my 8 y/o who I found out today needs a biopsy to confirm/rule out lymphoma... it might help if she's having any joint pain/stiffness and you can get them from the pharmacy, just double check with the vet on how much to give her.

Maximus answered on 5/17/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I just had to put down my yellow lab who was 13. She was throwing up and couldn't eat or drink. It made me physically ill for weeks. If your pup isn't showing signs of pain and is eating and drinking normally I would make her as comfortable as possible. She will let you know when it's her time. Good luck and remember the best way to get over the loss of a pet is to get a puppy.

You know my dear i had a 12yr old greyhound called Benjamin he was a wonderful loving dog he could hardly walk on his right back leg I took him to vet as a lump appeared red in colour. They took blood tests and x rays they confirmed it was bone cancer and told me he would not survive surgery of amputation so they left the decision to me to have him put to sleep he looked at me in pain and i will always remember it was the best thing to do to put him to sleep it broke my heart and that was june 2011 i still miss him but i know he is at rest now and i have his ashes buried in the garden so he is still with me. dont let your dog suffer you will feel better afterwards

daisy

I too am going through this painful process. My 12 yr old Rotty/Bouvier mix was diagnosed with bone cancer in early Sept and given 1 - 4 months to live. Her growth is on her left rear leg. It started at her "ankle" but grows rapidly and now most of her leg is affected. Amputation was not an option because she is such a big dog and her other hind leg has damage as well; she wouldnt be able to support herself. I chose medication. An anti-inflammatory and a pain med. I purchase them every 2 weeks for $70. Everytime I bring home new meds we have a lil celebration and a "come to jesus" talk that she will commit 2 more weeks to me. She is struggling as am I. Most of the time she sleeps. Only goes outside if she has to but has yet to have an accident in the house. Food is a totally diff issue - she becomes her old self or damn near close to it...I don't how I will know when it's time...wish she could talk... I won't be selfish but am afraid I won't know when..it's tough

daisy answered on 1/12/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer