Shelby

I have a 10 year old Shih Tzu that still uses our floors as a giant toilet.

I have a 10 year old Shih Tzu who was house trained when he was young. Here and there he would have accidents in the house, but only when we leave for more than 1 hour. For the past year now, it's gotten so frequent that when we go outside for a few minutes, he pee's or poo's on the floor. We take him outside a couple times a day and does go to the bathroom. At this point, our house smells and we are going to need to replace our hardwood floors. Help?! Anyone.... ?!?!

Asked by Shelby on May 23rd 2013 Tagged housetrainingolddogs in Behavior & Training

Answers

Pineapple Smushface

When my peke started peeing on rugs when she went into heat, I kept her in the bathroom when I went out (like a crate, but larger). Take him to the vet and make sure that there are no physical problems underlying this issue for you. Then, you need to use urine remover formulated for pets to scrub all the floors with, because otherwise the dog will keep resoiling where he smells his own pee. He should be able to hold it for 9 hours at a time, and you should be able to take him out three times a day, like clockwork. Start training him all over again and see how it goes, such as with potty bells when he needs to go. ^_^

Pineapple Smushface answered on 2/27/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer