I have 7yr. old, spayed, female mutt. For 2 years she was living with my son because I became unemployed and had to mov

I have 7yr. old, spayed, female mutt. For 2 years she was living with my son because I became unemployed and had to move in with my sister. Now I have her back with me and she has developed 2 new behaviors: 1) When I have company and we hug goodbye she jumps up and starts humping my leg 2) Every time I get on the phone she starts barking. What are some reasons for these behaviors. In case it matters, my son has an unneutered male White Shephard about 1-1/2 yrs. but we have never seen him hump.

Asked by Member 1113866 on Jun 3rd 2012 Tagged behavior in Answers

Answers

These are both attention seeking, dominant type behaviors. I'm sure you are both glad to be back together, but your joy may have over inflated her opinion of her status. Just make sure she gets her needs met without her being the sole focus of your life. Make sure that she understands her place.

You might review basic training. Stay would be good. She should be on a stay when you say good-bye to guests rather than humping your leg.

You will have to practice a lot to curb these behaviors. Get a friend to help with the good-bye problem. Do it over and over.
If you have a Cell, you can call the home phone repeatedly to practice her "phone manners". Again, teach her to stay, maybe on her bed? and be quiet.

Reward the behaviors you like a lot. Quietly move her back to her place when she breaks the stay.