i have 2 cats fully grown then we got a 4 month old german sheperd mix. we would like them to get along but the dog gust chases them the moment she sees them. the cats are out door and are doing fine but as winter approches we would like them to become friends. the dog is now almost a year old. is there any way we can get them to get along.thanks

Asked by Member 1130855 on Sep 14th 2012 Tagged aggressiontwordcats in Aggression

Answers

Have you taught the command "Leave It"? I use that for the chipmunks and squirrels in my yard that our dogs want to chase. Make sure when you are teaching it, that you use a treat to reward her, that she will die for. Only use that treat for that command for the cats. Good Luck!

All of my my dogs live calmly in the house with my three cats but outside they always chase the cats if they run. Perfectly normal behavior. Once the cat stops running, the dog is fine with them again.
I would doubt you will ever get these cats to accept the dog outside since she WILL chase them if they run and they never get any non chase time to realize that the dog is okay.
Normally with a meeting inside the cat will hold its own and not run so the dog will get swatted IF it misbehaves, and then learn to respect the cat. Outside, is completely different.