Lily Anne Grace

I had to give up my dog but can't let go and it's causing depression

I have a brain injury and was living with my best friend who helped me with daily living for over 10 years. 6 months ago she went out and didn't come back, she called me 2 weeks later saying she moved so I was left with 3 dogs to care for and myself I was a mess. Anyways one of my dogs had so much energy and with my limited mobility I couldn't care for him properly and he was going stir crazy so I found a dog rescue and signed him over to them. It has been about 4 months now but i can't get over it, I feel so guilty and miss him so much! All of my online accounts have dozens of pictures of him and on my computer are hundreds of pics, in my room is one of his fave toys and some of his clothes so everywhere I go there are reminders of him. People are not so sympathetic because he didn't die I gave him up so I have no support and I just miss him so much it is eating me alive! How do I let go?

Asked by Lily Anne Grace on Nov 19th 2013 Tagged rescue, surrender, dogs in Other Adoption & Rescue

Answers

See a psychiatrist to better deal with your condition. If you are on government assistance, they will pay for 15 minute a week sessions. 15 minutes a week to talk with a pro is better than moping around the home. It was unfair for you to keep the dog, so you did do the right thing. You loved him enough to let go, and should be proud of yourself for that, not guilty. What you are feeling is wasted energy that you should be spending on your other dogs and yourself. Get well soon! ^_^

Bunny

Wow, first you lost your support system and then had to give up your dog. No wonder you are depressed. Just because the dog is still alive doesn't mean you didn't lose them. The previous poster suggested therapy and it might help deal with your multiple losses. I am so sorry you are going through all of this.

Bunny answered on 11/20/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Just think that your dog is in good hands now and you have made a decision that would be best for him rather than giving him a life full of misery.

Otis - Dachhund mix

I think you have to tell yourself that you a good dog owner and have only the dog's welfare at heart.It was brave and good of you to give him up. If you still have the other 2 dogs, then try and devote yourself to them. If you can't take them for walks, try and have a dog walker, even just once a week. If you can afford it, let them have some time at the kennels - at different times otherwise it would be too expensive with both of them there and it would give you chance for one on one. Maybe, if the dog you gave up still has not found a home, you could perhaps do volunteer work at the place he is at. You would be busy with all the other dogs and when he leaves for new home, you would feel better about that.

Otis - Dachhund mix answered on 12/3/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Tasha

My mother had a stroke and I am her caregiver. Her mobility limits her ability to take care of herself and I have a lot to balance with one dog. you are limited in mobility and lost your best friend 's support and assistance, you need time to adjust and build up your coping skills. It sounds like you did not want to let go of this dog and you made a decision to allow this animal to find a forever home with another family that may be in a position to exercise it regularly. Can you ask the rescue for an update which might ease your pain? unless they have rules against it, they may tell you the dog has been adopted or in a good foster home. Each rescue is different however if you signed him over voluntarily they may understand you are concerned and I would hope provide you with some news if he is in a foster home or has been adopted so you can appreciate that he is getting another chance to get the care you couldn't provide due to your own mobility issues. Trust your decision.

Tasha answered on 12/31/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer