I had 2 dogs one died 3 weeks ago, bought a small puppy. now the older dog is staying off to herself, is she depressed

she only comes out of hiding to eat and to go out to relieve herself. She and the dog that died were togather 7 years. they are chihuahuas

Asked by Member 817428 on Mar 19th 2009 in Behavior & Training

Best Answer

Roger

Yes, your dog is grieving.

I have experienced this, and the best thing you can do is bring another dog into the mix. You say you've bought a puppy. Let the two interact. The grief will subside as the new puppy becomes more of a pal.

There is something else to consider though. The older dog will be more adult now. While he/she was junior she could be a silly la-la, but now she is top banana, and that requires more sensible and sedate behaviour.

See her new-found quietness as gravitas, and you'll be seeing it her way. She/he is top-dog now, and that requires a lot of thinking (sleeping and grumping).

Roger answered on Mar 19th.

Answers

Do you know what your other dog died from?...Could this dog have gotten something from the one that passed?
Or maybe the remaining dog is grieving...If that is the case let her know that you are there for her but give her some space...If she isn't acting better soon I'd take her to the vet for a check up.

Harley

I am going through the same thing w/my chihuahua. My other dog,Yoshie, had to be put to sleep @ the end of Jan. She had been w/us for about 10/11 yrs. She and my chi. were very close. I recently added a 5 month old puppy to our family & Harley (the chi.) acted the same way. It took a couple of days of paying extra attention to him and giving him special treats, but it seems to be working. He is now showing the new puppy who is the boss. lol. Good luck. I'm sure she'll be fine.

Harley answered on 3/20/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Baxter

Yes, animals grieve.
I would also follow up with vet soon to see if she is sick.
I would give extra attention to her. Take her for some walks during the day. And try to get her to come out of hiding. Poor baby, hope she gets back to norm. soon.

Baxter answered on 3/20/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer