Benjamin

I give my dog Benadryl, but he is still itching constantly, chewing his paws, etc. Someone at the dog park said there is a stronger dog med than Benadryl, and maybe he needs something stronger? Should I take him to another vet?

Asked by Benjamin on May 25th 2008 in Health & Wellness

Answers

TK, CGC

There is a medication called hydroxyzine that your vet can give to you that is also an antihistamine. More importantly, you need to figure out WHY your dog is itching and chewing paws. It sounds like symptoms of some sort of allergy, and the easiest way to cure those symptoms is to remove the allergen.

You can have a blood or skin test done to determine exactly what your dog is allergic to, or you can examine your lifestyle and try to weed out things you might suspect and see if there is any improvement.

Common food allergens are corn, wheat, rice, soy, and beef, but that's by no means inclusive. My dog TK is allergic to 26 of the things his particular test looked for, which included food and environmental factors. If you think your dog might be allergic to something outside you can try weekly or bi weekly baths and wiping paws with a damp cloth every time he comes inside.

TK, CGC answered on 5/25/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Denver

There are lots of meds that a vet can prescribe depending on the cause of the problem. Temaril-P comes to mind as it is stronger than hydroxyzine & benadryl, but not as strong as pred. Your vet should always be the one to prescribe meds since we want to monitor the effects of meds on Benjamin's liver especially. Lots of small breeds like shihtzus, maltese, yorkies, white haired-sensitive skin dogs, and even labs and goldens are apt to have all sorts of skin irritations. Just like with humans, allergies tend to flair up in the spring, summer and autumn. You might also try adding omega-3 fatty acids to Benjamin's diet. They act as a natural anti-inflammatory. Good luck! Woof =^..^=

Denver answered on 5/26/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Beck

I get flare ups from food and season changes (spring is rough). You probably want to go to your vet to identify what is causing the problem, it can be food or airborne allergies, yeast infection, etc. We have dealt with all of them and treatments vary from special food (zd ultra from science diet has no additives), special shampoo, to using selsun blue to wash feet (for the yeast infection). In other words, go to your vet, there are lots of things that can help.

Beck answered on 5/26/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Alex

I'd suggest zyrtec. It is now over the counter. I have been giving it to my shih tzu for about 2 years now with great success. He is 20 lbs and I give him 5 mg per day. It works great and doesn't make him drowsy. My vet switched him to it after everything else either failed or just knocked him out. Good luck!!

Alex answered on 5/26/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Benadryl is a really strong drug and if he's still itching after giving him the Benadryl, I'd say you really need to get to the bottom of what is making him itch before just going to something stronger.

There ARE antihistamines specifically formulated for dogs that you can get at your vet. They may be, in certain cases, safer than human anti allergy medications, but your vet can tell you the best thing for your particular dog.

What worries me, though, is that you could be giving your dog an antihistamine for something that can easily be fixed without drugs. If he has a food allergy, for example, changing foods will help or stop the itching. If he has a contact allergy, stopping contact with the allergen can eliminate his symptoms without the need for medication that can have dangerous side effects or make your dog feel sick.

Definitely talk to your vet about the symptoms and ask how to evaluate food allergies, etc.