I found a dog with a bullet wound, but I can't take it to the vet. How can I help it?

My dad and I recently moved into an area deep in the woods, a friend of his owns all the property around here and offered to let us live in a trailer down here. The friend lets hunters come and hunt for deer on the property. A few days ago, someone's dog appeared on our doorstep with a bullet wound in its hind leg. Its at the top of the leg, near its hip, and its in a location that cant be wrapped. We decided that if the owner didnt show up, we'd keep the dog, but we cant afford to take it to the vet. The bullet wound is all the way through, the bullet obviously left its body. It goes from the side of the hip to the back of the leg. We put antibiotic ointment on the hole, but we cant wrap it. My dad seems to think itll be fine if we dont wrap it or get it stitched up, but everyone else seems to tell me otherwise. If we keep giving it antibiotics, will this dog be okay? What else can I do for it without taking it to a vet?

Asked by Member 1086313 on Jan 22nd 2012 Tagged bulletwound, openwound, leg, hip, nomoney, nobandage, ointment, antibiotics, gunshot, gun, hunter, woods, adopted in Emergencies & First Aid

Answers

You can call the vet up and ask for advice over the phone. I've done this many times. Let them know you cannot afford treatment. They'll let you know what the best options are.
If you do need to take him in, they may have some options for you. Some vets take installed payments, or something else. All you've got to do is ask.

That's all I can really tell you, but there are times your only option is to go to the vet.

I'd call the vet and explain, but I'm sure they're going to need to see this dog. That kind of trauma just needs to be treated by a physician. He or she may allow you to pay in installments or be able to refer an agency that can help to fund treatment. Best of luck!

Sanka- I'll Miss You

I don't think you should keep a dog when you can't afford to take them to the vet. What if something is seriously wrong? What if taking the dog to the vet can prevent something serious from occurring later on?

You can't possibly diagnose that. And since you can't afford to go to the vet, you need to be realistic about what you can afford for the dog in terms of proper care. Not giving the dog what it needs, as in medical treatment, due to lack of funds is something one needs to seriously consider. It is actually inexcusable and ILLEGAL to not get that dog to the vet.

This dog needs someone who can give it the proper care it needs. Since you admitted you can't do it, it would be selfish to keep the dog and not try to find someone who could properly care for it. Ask around to see if anyone would like to care for the dog. Ask rescues and such. These kinds of stories can really make the adoption headlines and capture people's attention.

Sanka- I'll Miss You answered on 1/22/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer