Max

I changed my dog's food to Blue Buffalo, he has more bowel movements-often in the middle of the night! any suggestions?

He loves the food, getting up at 3 or 4 am is killing me!
He's been on the food about 8 months, long enough to get used to it. I hate to change it as my dog is 12 and does seem to like it. Also anyone know if it is salty? His bowel movements are normal

Asked by Max on Nov 13th 2009 Tagged food, fiber, toomanybowelmovements in Pet Food

Best Answer

Michael

Stick with Blue Buffalo. It is a good food. My guess is that you leave food out all day or that you are feeding too much. How often and how much are you feeding him? If you leave food out all day, stop and feed him twice a day. When dogs can eat all day it is difficult for them to regulate their elimination. If they are fed at about the same time twice a day, they will eliminate at about the same time every day. Below is the address of a calorie calculator. Enter your dog's weight and see how many calories he needs per day, look on the bag and see how many kcal per cup and feed accordingly (measure precisely). This is much more accurate than the charts on the bag.

www.mycockerspaniel.com

Michael answered on Nov 13th.

Answers

If it isn't working, and the old was, go back. All the arguments for feeding Blue Buffalo and other premium foods are phony. dig, and you will find nothing to support it but speculation about ingredients.

Ruby

Aster is wrong in my opinion. I mean who can debate ingredience? So that is like saying that I should feed my children Burger King every single day for the rest of their lives. Ingredience speaks for themselves. I have nothing against people who feed their dogs grocery store brand foods, but I would never debate what is written on the labels. I mean corn, wheat, animal by-products...compared to Chicken, carrots, lamb...Common!
I will tell you that in my experience I hadRuby on Science Diet, her fur was very dry, she was constantly scratching and flaky, her coat was dull, she had the runs constantly. I know some dogs do fine on SD but she didnt. So I switched to Acana and found that there was no improvement....I didnt know what to do but someone said it can take 16 weeks to take full effect, so i waited it out, I also lowered the amount of food she ate, the dog food companies usually recommend too much. Now her coat is shiny, no flakes and nice firm stools about 3 times a day.

Ruby answered on 11/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Chocolate

theres nothing particularly horrible about pooping more other than convenience. maybe get a dog door so you won't need to be getting up early.

That didn't happen to so thats odd....

Chocolate answered on 11/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Lucy

Hmm, if Max is doing well on the food, other than his potty times, perhaps you can adjust when you feed him. Calculate how many hours between Max eating his dinner and his late night poop. For instance, if his last meal is at 6:00 p.m. if you change it to 9:00 p.m., then his 3 or 4 a.m. poop may change to a more reasonable hour like 6:00 or 7:00 a.m. (However, when you change his feeding schedule, you may want to do it gradually -- 1/2 hour later every day until you get to the right times...) If you don't assign feeding times and just keep his dog food bowl full, set up a feeding schedule and take his bowl away when he stops chowing down. Hope this suggestion works. You need your sleep! Please let me know how Max does! Good luck!

Lucy answered on 11/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Fritz

How is your dog's weight? Blue buffalo is not only a superior food, but also more calorie dense then cheap supermarket brands. It may be that you are feeding him more then he needs and it is causing him to poop more.

I would also agree that changing his feeding time would be a better choice then taking him off a good food that he likes and does well on.

Ignore anyone who claims that foods with corn, byproducts, animal digest, sugar, and chemicals are as good as a high quality food. Only a person who knows little about dogs and dog food would make such a claim.

Good luck.

Fritz answered on 11/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I have to agree with Fritz... perhaps Max is getting too much to eat??? When I switched my toy poodles over to blue they were pooping all day and all night until I figured out they had to get about half as much blue per feeding as my previous food. Now they are back down to half a cup a day and two normal, small poops a day,

try plain white rice with the food, mix your amount of kibble and add for this little one maybe like 1/3 cup of rice.
Also make sure the food you are feeding is in a reasonable amount of kibble. Sometimes a richer, more protein diet requires less of the normal amount you were feeding with your previous kibble.
The bags tell you way more what to give then they should
You can compare the Sodium(salt content) to other foods like the one you had online.
I myself do not like BB and it's ingredients, and allow your dog's system to adjust to this food for at least 2 weeks.

As some of the others pointed out, how much are you feeding and at what time? I'd try to change those factors before I'd switch brands.
Dogs on a higher quality brands like Blue Buffalo do not normally need to eat as much as they did on lower quality brands. If you fed him Purina or some other popular (but low quality) grocery store brand before, I'd imagine that has a lot to do with it.

Seth

Well you can try some of the things like cutting back and everything. But just remember, just because some pople think it is great and works for them, it may not be right for your dog. I have known people i show with that got off blue because it was not working for their dogs. Dogs can be just like people, some people can eat somes foods while others can not.

Seth answered on 11/15/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Blue buffalo dog food ; Hi - it is just a little too much for your dog's system...
How about mixing the Blue Buff with another food such as - Innova Reduced Fat formula or Wellness Reduced fat...
LOOK For a lower fat to mix with the Blue buff.
You will see less poops when you mix.
2-3 poops per day.
Also, last feeding should be around 5 pm, if possible
(2 feeding per day or just 1 feeding in the am )
SEE here for more help:
Dog Food experts -
en.allexperts.com