I bought what I was told a maltipoo but the dog is now 6 months old and has short straight hair!

Can maltipoos have this type of coat? She also seems to be shedding a lot more than what this breed is supposed to! I am not sure what to do!

Asked by Member 1129661 on Sep 6th 2012 in Breeds G-M

Answers

A maltipoo is not a breed! It is a mixture of a Maltese, which has straight , shedding hair and a poodle, which has curly hair. Because it is a mixture of two breeds it is anyone's guess what it will look like as mixes do not come out looking alike...it depends on how the genes fall.
Since it is a mix it may have curly or straight hair but will most likely shed since ALL dogs shed, even poodles, but the shed hair gets caught up in the curls in the poodles and other breeds with long, curly hair.
Hopefully you were not told you were buying a "real" breed!