i bought a 6 weeks old puppy found out that she had underbite , is her teeth will bother her and cant breed her ?tnx

Asked by Member 1066031 on Oct 24th 2011 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Ginger

What? No, don't breed her. There are too many dogs being euthanized for lack of homes, don't add to the numbers.

Ginger answered on 10/24/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I'm not completely clear on what it is your asking.
Are you asking what problems an underbite may cause? If that's it, I'm not able to help you there.

I wouldn't breed her, but mainly because responsible breeding means trying to breed dogs that adhere well to their breed standard (and have genetic health tests done on it, not just having the vet give it a clean bill of health). There's a lot more to it than that, but the reason to adhere to the standard is this: to keep the breed consistent. One of the reasons people like purebreds is that, to some extent, they know what to expect out of them. More than they would with a mixed breed. (And my dog is a mix, so nobody jump on me about thinking mutts are inferior, cuz I do not think that.) Breed just any purebred dog at all and you'll begin to lose that consistency.
Of course, you can go too far either way! A very limited gene pool is a problem, too.
I'll get off my soapbox now...

your breeder should never sell a puppy under 8 wks old. And an underbite is a fault. So, no you should not breed her as this is a genetic fault from improper breeding.
I suggest you spay her at 6 months before her heat.

I do not know ANY reputable breeder who will sell ANY puppy at six weeks old, much less one for breeding purposes.
AND, an undershot jaw is obvious from about 3 weeks on, so I certainly cannot understand buying ANY dog without checking the bite first, especially one you intend to breed, nor any breeder who would not already know about the bite and who would not sell this pup for breeding purposes.
Breeding quality is determined by a multitude of things including conformation, health, genetic testing and obvious faults such as the bite, most of which cannot be determined at 6 weeks of age.
I suggest you do a bit more research if you want to become a breeder!!!

Tiara

The dog can live just fine with an underbite. As far as breeding, leave that to the experts.

Tiara answered on 10/28/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer