I asked a the vet if i could take 6 week puppy home,he said this was ok.

This has to do with a other question.The breeder has already seperated him from his mom.so far he has been perfect now i think He is 7 1/2 weeks now.He is very playful and happy.I get him in 3 days should i be worried?

Asked by Member 1117705 on Jun 26th 2012 in Health & Safety

Answers

Well that puts him right at the 8 week mark, so you should be fine. I really do recommend reading that Dunbar book...it is fabulous.

Dont worry, it is safe to bring a 7 week old pup home. Each dog has a different attitude towards major changes. It will definitely take a long time before he can actually adjust in the situation, just be patient and give as much care and warmth as you can to him. Good luck!

snickers

Yes its fine to take your pup home at 6 weeks old I got my dog snickers at 5 weeks old and she did great.

snickers answered on 6/27/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

He will probably be OK, but it's generally considered bad practice to separate from mother before 8 weeks (even 12 weeks for small breeds), and in some places it is actually illegal. Most ethical and high-quality breeders I know don't and would never separate that early. If your vet does not have any behavioral education then they are not typically the ones to talk to about things like that.

Yes, tiny chihuahua puppy under 8 weeks CAN survive as long as you are educated in caring for a puppy, including how to deal with emergencies such as hypoglycemia and seizures resulting from this.
However, ANY breeder who will allow their baby puppy to leave its mother and littermates before 10 to 12 weeks is only concerned about getting the money for the puppy and isn't concerned about the health and wellbeing of the pup at all.
I raise and show toy poodles and these babies do not even leave their mother until at the very least eight weeks of age. NO WAY are they physically and/or mentally ready to go into a new home at that age. Toy breeds this young require round the clock feedings to prevent hypoglycemia and to develop properly, not to mention the socialization and learning they need from their mother and littermates to be able to grow up into well rounded good pets.
If any breeder will sell them any younger you need to RUN away and find a truly responsible breeder who cares abo