I am very interested in adopting a dog sometime soon and need some advice.

Hi, my name is Joey. I am an undergrad in the Midwest area and I am looking to acquire a canine companion. I have been doing a lot of research on some dog breeds and have taken a liking to the Nova Scotia duck toller. They seem to have the energetic and intelligent personality I'm looking for (and they are adorable) mid size and patient. With all this research I have seen that they are hunters and competitors and I just want to know, since I have no real interest in either if that would hinder the dog in any way. I am as active as possible outdoors while attending school and working and I am more than willing to make adjustments to help fit his/her needs. Also an something potentially important I see myself living in an apartment for the next foreseeable years. Any suggestions or insight would be greatly appreciated!!

Asked by Member 1165267 on Apr 15th 2013 in Choosing the Right Pet

Answers

Roxy

As long as you provide adequate exercise, you will not hinder the dog from their natural purposes. Many dog breeds no longer do what they were naturally bred to do, however they have settled into a home lifestyle just fine as long as their energy levels are met otherwise.

Roxy answered on 5/29/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hi Joey, remember that you have no idea (maybe you do) where you will be living, what you will be doing, or who you will be doing it with in 10 years. What would you do if your perfect female companion was allergic to dogs? I can't tell you how many friends and relatives cannot come over to my place because I had four pets (now three). Finally, you are not going to be able to live a student lifestyle when you are a working adult, and you have to think about the dog being alone when you are working 10+ hour days at your first 'real job'. Most of the people I come into contact with live with a breed that does not fit their lifestyle at all, especially when young kids come into the picture. It seems like you might already be cognizant of these things due to your education... just remember that your life may be very different in 12 years, and hopefully the dog you choose will still be with you. Last but not least, what about rescuing from a shelter and saving a life?? ^_^