Zyekies

I am trying to housebreak my 5 month yorkie puppy but he keeps peeing and pooping in his crate.

I am trying to housebreak my 5 month yorkie puppy but he keeps peeing and pooping in his crate. I take him outside at 5am, 7am, 8am, 11am, 2pm, and 5pm. He does fine from 6pm to 5am through the night and is great with not going to the bathroom on my bed but during the day he keeps going in his crate even though I take him outside. I'm thinking that he sees my bed as his "home" and won't pee/poop there which is great but how can I get him to view his crate and the rest of my house as his home?

Asked by Zyekies on Sep 13th 2012 Tagged housebreaking, potty, yorkie, help, puppy in House Soiling

Answers

I had to do this many years ago when my ex-husband decided to rescue a 6 month old newfie. Make the crate smaller...if you cant afford a smalled crate use a few bricks, larger rocks or such toward the back of the crate and over them. the side the dog sleeps on I would use newspaper not a "blanket or bedding"...you may have to bath him a few extra times but its worth the extra time. Plus sound it strange keep him on a leach at all times attached to you that way you can watch for signs if he needs to go....also when he does go potty outside praise praise praise and praise more and of course a small treat once he is inside wont hurt his feelings....

Cassius

For starters if your pup isnt fully house broken then you shouldnt be letting tem sleep in your bed at night at all, big mistake. They need to be crate trained so they are comfortable in it, it should only be big enough for them to walk in, turn around & lay down in it.. Take him outside every few hours in the middle of the night (every two hours if possible/if you want to see results) so that he doesnt even get the chance to pee/poop in his crate.... Hell catch on

Cassius answered on 9/13/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer