Iris

I am trying to figure out if my dog is a Carolina Dog or not and to get advice for the digging and escape artist problem

We were told by the shelter in which we got our dog, who was a puppy at the time, that she was a Shephard mix. I thought this would be great since my husband is not a huge fan of dogs and I thought I would start him out with a nice service dog. The dog is much more hyper than that and has dug up essentially the whole backyard. She also is an escape artist and I can't get her to come to me if she is chasing prey. If anyone has thoughts or advice on this, that would be great.

Asked by Iris on Feb 12th 2013 Tagged carolinadogthoughtsondiggingrunningoffafterprey in Carolina Dog

Answers

She needs lots of exercise and training (especially to be a service dog). She is bored and that is why she is digging and escaping. If you cannot provide it maybe you should exchange her for a different dog from the shelter. Don't leave her alone in the backyard. Make her a digging pit where she CAN dig.. just one spot in the garden and make it reinforcing to dig there like toys and treats that you can bury that she can find.

Not all shepherds are suited to be service dogs, but many do need a "job." After all, they've been bred for ages to herd, so it makes sense that they would want something to do. I would take your dog to an obedience class, which will provide mental stimulation for her while helping with her recall. I like the idea of allowing her a place to dig, but might also reinforce the fence by burying 6 in or so of chain link. I would schedule regular trips to the dog park to socialize and make sure she gets regular exercise by walking her daily. I'd get her really interested in fetch so she can burn off that energy. Tired dogs are happy dogs.