I am trying to decide rather to get a boy or girl gordon setter. How do girls act? How do boys act? Boy or girl?

Asked by Member 1107326 on Apr 23rd 2012 in Barking

Answers

Virtus

Well from what ive noticed there isn't much difference in boys or girls just a few in most breeds however i would prefer a boy since its easier to deal with medically "fixing them", also every dog has its own personality, sometimes you get lucky and sometimes not, and some just need more attention than others.

I would suggest getting one that is hyper their usually smarter, also they learn easy but will take you time and effort to break them down on rules, i still teach my dog new tricks till this day, he talks back to me with a growl, bark or soft howling noises

Virtus answered on 4/24/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I've only dealt with a boy gordon setter and he is extremely sweet, but full of energy. He is older too and has chronic ear infections. You might find out if that is common in the breed or if this one in particular just has problems. Usually males are more territorial than girls and are usually larger, so it kind of depends on size you want. Also, do you plan having he/she hunt? Maybe there are differences in gender when it comes to hunting. Sorry I can't help more!

Shasta

In general, males are easier to get 'fixed' than females are [it's generally less expensive & it takes a lot less time for the healing process]. Males are usually more dominant and territorial than females are though. I plan on getting a girl for my next dog, my 2 boys are wonderful... but they both get fairly dominating and then Shasta has his 'marking-his-territory' thing. I can't go play with him in a field hardly any! He's always gotta go sniff his bushes/go on every blade of grass in sight.... ugh!

Shasta answered on 4/24/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Kazba

The Gordon people that I show dogs with. Say the females are a bit easier to train. The males just do not mature as fast and can seem s bit,in their words dumb. But the males do seem to be a bit more loving to their owner. But will also fight if you have more then one male. That is what they say about the breed anyway

Kazba answered on 4/25/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer